Friday, August 16, 2013

Memories of Nasik

Date: 2 Sep 2009

Dear friend,

Today I arrived at Nasik, India for a brief visit. I was here in 2004 for my training on linguistics. Linguistics is a pre-requisite training for those in Bible translation. We had subjects which I have never heard: Phonetics, Semantics, Phonology, SociolinguisticsJ. Being a fresh graduate from a Bible college, it was quite a shift! But God helped me and my friends learn them well.

My memory is flooded of those days of training (June – Sep 2004). 13 of us studied together. We played volleyball almost everyday. We learned “funny” sounds from Phonetics class. It was humorous in a way. Those friends are now mostly in various ministries. Four went on to become Bible translators. I met one of them an hour ago. He is now married and has a kid. He translates Bible for those who are deaf. One statement that came to me is “God has been faithful.”

Looking back to my life, I am happy over what has happened. I am once again reminded of the time when the Lord planted this vision which began in a conference in Kerala. Last week I read an email I wrote in Dec 2, 2002 at 1 pm. In that mail I requested for training opportunity and that happened. Later days I had the opportunity to visit 10 language areas. We could do various testing tools to find translation needs among them. That was good. And also able to work more with a team of young people committed to this task. So many things have happened. I praised God for many wise leaders who have provided opportunities and influenced me in multiple ways. Reflections humbled me. Please pray that I would remain committed to His will and His cause. always. 

Liahey (and for Simasa)
Sep 2, 2009

Nasik, India

No comments: