Friday, August 16, 2013

a phone in my village

An email announcing the installation of a public phone in my village (Date: 28 August 2009)

Hi Everyone,
On August 8, 2009 I received the first phone call from my village. My village is located in Arunachal Pradesh, India where for 140 km there is no road. The government had just installed the first public phone in the village beginning this month. My parents decided to call us together in the evening of that day. But my father came down to watch a football game. On seeing a queue in telephone room, he went and found the operator had my mobile number. He just dialed? My mom had to make a separate trip in the evening.

Last 2 weeks people called any number they have. There is a queue from morning to evening. The operator has to stay the whole day. When he wanted to play football matches, he had to close down his shop. I asked my dad how is it like having a public phone in the village. He said "people are excited here". So far I received 5 calls. Every time I get calls, they remind me they are calling from the village, in order to make me believe! One fellow was informing me that he was returning from his farm and just took care of his buffalos.

Some people were talking over phone for the first time and just learning to see what a phone look like. One person came with the postal pin code, from which his son sent a letter. The next time he came with another number which was not a phone number again. The third time he got it right. Some still not willing to talk, though they will just come and watch. Still learning.

I pray as we look at the many languages in our country, that they will have access to the Lord's Word. Especially, for those 56 languages whose need for Scriptures have not been even evaluated yet. I look forward to our God that they will have access to His Word. So that they are excited knowing/exercising the access before the Almighty. and express childish joy, just like when calling phone for the first time.

Sincerely yours,


Liahey and Simasa

No comments: