Saturday, September 12, 2020

Remembering Promises of God

Departure of a beloved member is a great pain for all of us in our church. During this time, there is not much we can do to comfort each other. But it a good time for all of us to remember, the promises Jesus made to all those who follow him. I would like to mention just three of them as reminder for us who believes in him. 

First, Jesus promised heaven. Jesus said, "In My Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and welcome you into My presence, so that you also may be where I am." (John 14:2-3 NIV). May our heart be fixed for that place where we will spend eternity with our God.

Second, we have hope for resurrection our mortal bodies. In John 11:25-26, Jesus said, "'I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die." Physical death is not the end for us. 

Third, there won't be death. "The last enemy to be destroyed is death." (I Corinthians 15:26). Physical defirmities and death reign all creation. But there will be a day when our Lord shall abolish death. 

These words are short but all has reference for our future existence. Our God has plans for us beyond the earthly life. He is long-term focussed. 

May our heart be comforted with these words. 

(Shared at a memorial service of a member of our church, 29 August 2020).

No comments: