Thursday, April 25, 2013

Workers in Vineyard – Lisu version

Photo: art-wallpaper.com

This is the second time I relate to this parable from life incident. May be because I am from farming background – I am partial professional in farming paddy fieldsJ.

Yesterday I heard a funny incident that took place in my home village. A young man was delegated to organize a Panchayat project. He organized some workers, mostly ladies, and promised to pay Rs 150/day. They agreed and worked.

At the time of paying, he paid exactly that amount. But someone, jokingly or seriously (no idea), said “we got more than that”. On hearing that two women came and complained to the young man. He restated their agreement but they won’t listen even after repeated explanation. Rather they raised their voice. Frustrated, the young man chased them out of his house.

But the women went and complaint – one to their sons and the other to her husband. In the first case, the sons got very angry and thought of beating the young man. But as they talked their father overheard their discussions. He scolded them saying, “Why did you go? If I were him I would have beaten you.” After that the sons calmed down. The woman who complained to the husband received the same kind of response. At last she said, “You are defending him!” and stopped.

I remember then the parable of workers in Vineyard. The owner faced similar kind of protest.

Once again, I begin to appreciate the relevance of Jesus’ parables. He was not telling cooked up stories. He told the ones that was taking place at that time. No wonder he captivated his audience with his powerful teaching. 

No comments: