Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Prejudice with Psalms


Over a month, we have been going through the life of David at the office. Amazing to learn from this giant of faith. I enjoyed learning each day. Simultaneously, we (family devotion) began reading the book of Psalms, chapter by chapter for the first time in Lisu language. Interesting expressions I learned for the first: “oh, my King”, “God is angry and he sharpens his sword”, “If you are not with me, my enemies will tear me like lions”.  

But I began thinking recently, why I didn’t like Psalms? While all our church members and my colleagues seem to like it.

The answer is much more complex than I thought. But I remembered an incident that could have made a negative impact in my life. It happened in 2000 when I was just beginning Bible college education. One lunch break I slept off and reached almost the end of the first class after lunch. Obviously the teacher was upset and I was ashamedL. Then he gave a punishment – to recite Psalms 32! Perhaps, this could be one reason I have less fascination for this book.

My experience with Psalms triggered these questions:
·         Are there negative incidents in our language communities that would reject any Scriptures that will come out?
·         I have been trying to encourage my brother and sisters to daily read the Bible. It is like pushing them. What is hindering them?

Hope this also stimulate to reflect ourselves – Are we selectively reading and selectively not reading some books of the Bible?

No comments: