Thursday, March 07, 2013

Reserved seats for ladies

A bus in Mangalore (2 March 2013).

In the North East India where I come from, there is no reserved seat for women in buses. The first time I saw such facilities was in Chennai in June 1999. It was a bit difficult. We find an empty seat in the front rows and jump to that. The next moment the conductor or co passenger would warned us. Later we learned the rules.

But buses in Chennai and Bangalore usually has reservation in the front rows, mostly the right seats.

I was surprised in Kasaragod, Kerala, when I boarded a bus yesterday (6 March). I got in the bus from behind doors (later learned that it is the only door!), I sat in vacant seats at the back. The conductor then told me to go front. The seats were for ladies! Strange.

After getting down from bus, I asked my friend about that... the contrast between Bangalore and Kasaragod. He explained the rationale. The buses in Kerala usually have doors at the back. Ladies usually take longer than men to move around, so the seats are kept for them at the back!

The world is full of surprises!

No comments: